What does the LEI API do?
An application programming interface (API) is a set of functionalities that a service owner provides, so people can use its features and/or build software applications. An API details how users make requests and the responses they receive. LEIAdmin established an API to create a seamless solution for financial institutions’ LEI management. The API enables financial institutions’ clients to register and/or renew their LEIs through the institutions’ websites.
- 1. A customer would like to register or renew an LEI code and sees you offer the service.
- 2. The customer fills in their details on your website (or in whichever way you acquire the customer details).
- 3. The customer pays you for the LEI service (or you bill them later).
- 4. Your system obtains the LEI code through our API.
Find the API documentation here
Essentially the API allows you to seamlessly and securely offer customers the ability to create or renew LEI codes without placing any operational overhead on you.
How to use the LEI API?
- You sign up with LEIAdmin
- LEIAdmin gives you an authorization key
- Your customer requests an LEI code
- Using the authorization key, you first make a request to the oauth/token endpoint, where they receive a token that must be used for any subsequent requests.
- Using the token obtained in the previous step, you make requests to the API (for example, to obtain an LEI code).
- The customer should then receive a notification that their code has been created. This can be achieved by:
- Making periodic requests to the /leistatus endpoint
- Alternatively, when making the initial request, specify a webhook URL to which messages will be sent upon the status change.
- That’s it! Your customer will now receive their LEI.
The easiest way to try LEI API is to obtain a test account. With this, you can explore the API from apitest.leiadmin.com,
and your requests will be viewable at https://sandbox.leiadmin.com
Contact us at [email protected] to get started.
Keep track of your applications
Keeping track of your applications is simple. You can either make requests to the /leistatus endpoint, which can be used to check the status of recently requested or updated requests. Alternatively, you can consume webhook events as described below.
Webhooks enable you to obtain real-time, programmatic notifications from LEIAdmin regarding changes to the status of the requested LEI code as they happen, saving you from having to make periodic requests to the /leistatus endpoint of our API. This is achieved by specifying the notifyUrl parameter when requesting an LEI code.
LEIAdmin offers multiple payment methods to its partners. Monthly invoicing is the easiest way to set up your API integration billing.
LEI API is used for Level 1 data
To avoid complications, we decided that integrating applications with ‘Level 2’ information would make its documentation and logic more complex than needed. This is why at this point, you can only process entities without any parent/child relationships through APIs.
It’s easy to put these ‘Level 2’ data applications in by using our LEI administration service.
However, we’re always open to improving our process, and we will do so as needed.
Contact us at [email protected] for more information.
- API is a set of programming codes that enables data transmission between one software product and another.
- LEI API allows you to seamlessly and securely offer customers the ability to create or renew LEI codes through your website.
- LEI API can be used for ‘Level 1’ data applications only.
- The easiest way to get familiar with the LEI API is to obtain a test account https://sandbox.leiadmin.com